Jacintha Saldanha, Portrait

REVEALED: Details of the Suicide Nurse’s Death and How the Radio Station Stepped Up.

The sad details have been released surrounding the nurse who committed suicide after becoming the butt of a phone prank.  Radar online was first to reveal the sad news.

Jacintha Saldanha, who was a devout Catholic and native of India, was the nurse who transferred the call at the King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone; the hospital where Kate Middleton was staying.  Days after the hoax went viral, Saldanha’s body was discovered by a colleague and security guard.  She was found hanging by a scarf from a wardrobe in a room that was part of the hospital staff quarters.

Chief Inspector James Harmon reported,

“On Friday December 7th, Jacintha Saldanha was found by a colleague and a member of security staff. Sadly she was found hanging.”

“There was also injuries to her wrist. The London Ambulance Service was called to the scene. At this time there are no suspicious circumstances.”

As if maybe she was going to slit her wrists but couldn’t go through  with it. Ughhhh….imagine the personal anguish this woman was going through.


The daily Mirror released intricate details of the three suicide notes stating,

‘One of the letters, which is the longest, deals with the hospital and is critical in its tone.

‘Needless to say, Ben wants a full inquiry into what happened and he wants to make sure the truth comes out.

‘Within the letter, Jacintha calls into question some of the treatment she received at the hospital.’

The 2nd letter addressed her personal emotional struggles in dealing with the whole issue.  The third listed burial instructions and funeral arraignment details.


Jacinta was married with two children all who knew nothing about the prank call until after her death.  Her husband, Ben Barboza age 49, and children Junal 17 and Lisha 14 all had no idea that their mother was part of a prank or that a prank even occurred.  Keith Vas who is representing the family says that they were,

 “ in the dark about the hoax call” and “hadn’t watched the news or seen anything about it.”

Jacintha lived in London during the week and returned back to Bristol to be with her family on weekends.  They were waiting for her to come home when she was discovered.

Mr Barboza (centre) at the Houses of Parliament with Lisha and Junal

The radio station, who in my opinion is not really to blame, has stepped up big time. Not only did they cancel the radio show, which the 2 DJ’s hosted, but they are pledging a hefty donation to the late nurse’s family.  The station, 2DayFM released a statement,

“All profits from advertising on 2DayFM until the end of the year will be donated to an appropriate fund that will directly benefit the family of Jacintha Saldanha,”

Their minimum pledge will be at least $500,000.  Of course no amount will replace Jacintha but I’m sure the sentiment is greatly appreciated.

The investigation into the hospitals role in the death will continue.