Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 9.42.14 AM

Teen In Massachusetts Dies Hours After Eating The Dangerously Spicy “One Chip Challenge”

Some truly bizarre/tragic news to report today. A 14-year-old from Massachusetts died on Friday just hours after participating in the “One Chip Challenge” viral social media trend.

For those who don’t know, you can buy this “One Chip Challenge” at your local convenience store, and the packaging is covered in warning labels like, “Keep out of reach of children,” and “Intended for adult consumption.”

But obviously most people buying this chip are teens. They often film themselves eating the chip and then dealing with the immediate spicy pain that sets in.

Well, 14-year-old Harris Wolobah participated in the challenge at school on Friday. Shortly after eating the chip, he went to the school nurse complaining of severe stomach pain, so he was sent home. After arriving home, he started to feel a little better and was even on his way to a basketball tryout.

But before he got there, he collapsed and had to be rushed to the hospital.

He was pronounced dead a short time later. Now, his mom is ripping the response, telling NBC Boston Harris should’ve been taken straight to the hospital by school officials … rather than being sent to the nurse’s office. The school hasn’t responded to that criticism, but the district superintendent says they’re mourning his death.

A cause of death has not been announced, but an autopsy was performed, so there should be answers in the coming weeks. It’s not exactly clear how the chip could cause death hours after eating, but we do know super spicy foods can trigger heart issues for some people, so it’s possible that’s what happened here.

In any event, our thoughts go out to the family. Such a terrible tragedy, and if the autopsy confirms the chip contributed to his death, it might be time to pull those things off shelves.